Mediterranean diet,mediterranean diet Turkish Beans with Potatoes, Celery Root, and Carrots, but by this point I think we all know how I feel



So this Turkish bean recipe is actually entitled Turkish Beans with Potatoes, Celery Root, and Carrots, but by this point I think we all know how I feel about carrots in any form other than raw raw raw. So I ditched them and decided that would be okay.

I started soaking the dried white beans last night so that this evening after work I just needed to drain them and start simmering them on the stove. The beans take about an hour to cook, but they're only alone in the pot for the first half hour. During that time I sauteed garlic and onion in olive oil. Once they were soft, I added in the peeled and chopped potato and celery root for about 15 minutes.


At this point the root veggies were starting to soften but not yet browning. I tossed them into the pot with the beans along with some salt and left them to simmer together for the last half hour.

When the bean dish was removed from the heat and ready to go I stirred in chopped parsley and served.

This is a really hearty and filling dish, and I liked the little bit of sweetness that the celery root brought to it.

The mini-kebabs are really more of an appetizer and are also called Pinchos Morunos. The only prep work they require is mixing together some spices for the marinade; minced garlic, salt, coriander seeds, cumin, turmeric (which I had to buy), and paprika combined with olive oil and lemon juice. Stir this all together, first grounding the garlic into the salt with a pestle, and then add the pork, cut into small pieces. Make sure all the meat is covered in the marinade and set aside in the fridge for about an hour.


I cooked mine under the broiler of the oven, but it could also be done on a grill. Thread the meat onto skewers that have been soaked for about a half hour.


Cook for 6 minutes, flipping once, and serve immediately.


These were incredibly delicious. I would make them again in a heartbeat, though I might leave out the coriander seeds because I don't love their flavor. Still, everything else -- exactly the same. The pork was cooked perfectly and it was super good. Make this one.


beans -- $1.29
celery root -- $4.99
potatoes -- $1.17 (CSA price)
Total Cost of Turkish Beans with Potatoes and Celery Root: $7.45

turmeric -- $1.82
pork -- $4.49
Total Cost of Andalucian Spiced Mini-Kebabs: $6.31




Share your Opinion Here...

0 Respones to "Mediterranean diet,mediterranean diet Turkish Beans with Potatoes, Celery Root, and Carrots, but by this point I think we all know how I feel"

Post a Comment

 

© 2011 All India News Portal All Rights Reserved.